Sunday, June 29, 2008

Free jazz blog!

I submit for your approval a blog I just discovered, but which, as far as I can see, has been around for at least 2 years (don't I feel like Rip Van Winkle...):

http://destination-out.com/

It's a wonderful resource for those interested in getting into or keeping up with music containing a high degree of flexibility and improvisation, variously known as "free jazz," "free improvisation," "creative music," "the avant garde," and back in the 1960s, "the New Thing." I especially admire the page entitled "Beginner's Guide to Free Jazz" which not only offers some ground rules about this much maligned (and even more often misunderstood) group of musical idioms, but also gives the reader a diverse list of mp3s to get their sonic feet wet.


1 comment:

M said...

Okay, I just noticed that most of the links to mp3s on the "Beginners" page appear to be dead...but poke around the blog--there is much great "out" music to be heard!